The anti-ligature Kennon Door 2.0 and our original SSPD prevent the use of interior doors or shower curtains as anchor points. The magnetic hinges allow the door to function, holding up well to regular use, but break away from the frame when 20 pounds of pressure is applied. This leaves an inadequate amount of time for self-harm to occur. While no solution is sure-proof, the Kennon Door 2.0 and the Kennon SSPD provide both the safest available solution while still offering dignity and privacy to the patient.
Possible applications include behavior health centers, mental health facilities, psychiatric hospitals, prisons, youth centers, and assisted living centers.
Installation is easy, often with no assembly, or tools required.
If you’re installing onto a hollow metal frame doorway, the magnets will automatically attach. A 12″ gap between the floor and the bottom of the door is recommended.
If your doorway isn’t metal, we offer magnetic attachment plates that easily install with tamperproof screws.
Most mental health facilities don’t have artwork due to safety concerns. Acute units are particularly devoid of visual stimulation. Kennon SSPD’s and Kennon Art (SSPA) are large, aesthetically pleasing and calming. We can customize with any image or graphic.
Art is usually welcomed with enthusiasm by both patients and staff. Patients are excited to have the artwork in their environment, both for the aesthetics and for the feeling of personalized space. If, however, a patient reacts negatively, the Kennon Door 2.0, the Kennon SSPD, or Kennon Art (SSPA) may be easily removed or replaced with a different scene or solid color.
- There is no way for patients to lock staff out of their rooms.
- If the door is tossed or used as a weapon, it is not heavy enough to inflict any damage.
- Acute units now have the ability to provide art in patient rooms and bathrooms, since our products eliminate anchor points and other safety hazards contained in traditional artwork/doors.
- The Kennon doors are much easier to clean than shower curtains. Also, in cases where staff need to remove doors/curtains for certain patients, the Kennon doors are easily taken down and replaced.
- The Kennon Door 2.0 is NFPA 286 certified, meaning it meets all of the modern fire safety requirements for in-room doors.